People you may need to see

Hospital consultant and team

If your GP suspects you may have bronchiectasis, you will be referred to a hospital doctor who specialises in this condition. You will attend an outpatient clinic appointment where you will see either the consultant or one of their team.


  • Some people see their GP quite frequently and others have little contact with them.
  • Once you have a diagnosis of bronchiectasis you may find that you see the hospital team more than your GP.
  • You will still need to see your GP at times and also to ensure that you get the medication that you need.
  • It is important that you communicate with your GP. It is particularly important that they know about the type of antibiotics that you need and how long you need them for. If you play an active role then you can make sure that everyone knows what you need.


Specialist nurse

  • Often the hospital will have a nurse who specialises in lung diseases and bronchiectasis.
  • You may see them when you go to clinic or if you are ever admitted to the hospital ward.
  • In some hospitals the specialist nurse may be able to offer advice over the phone about your treatment or any problems you are having. They may also offer a service for people who need to take antibiotics into the vein but prefer to do this at home rather than in hospital.

Lung function technician

  • When you are referred to the hospital you will have some breathing tests done.
  • These are often done by a lung function technician or physiologist.
  • These tests may be done in the clinic or you may go to a separate department to have them done.


  • Often people with bronchiectasis can be helped by having advice from a dietician.
  • This may be general healthy diet and lifestyle advice or specific advice tailored to your needs.
  • Sometimes people with bronchiectasis struggle to keep their weight up and a dietician can advise you.

Continence nurse

  • Having a chronic cough can cause some people to experience bladder leakage or cough incontinence.
  • This is something that is important to tell your doctor about so that they can refer you to a nurse who specialises in helping with this.
Back to top